Thursday, July 28, 2011

Post-Essay 4

What a rough night! I would consider the completion of this last essay getting over the largest Writing 340 hump though.  Anyways, while I've found a lot more adherence to traditional television stereotyping on Food Network, there were of course diversions from the norm too.  In retrospect, I did mention Julia Child a little bit in the summary of Krishnendu Ray's article, but after writing my essay, I found that she was more influential than I had initially thought.  Her fusion of domesticity and breakaway from set the tone for tv cooking.  She wasn't dainty (6 ft tall...maybe taller?) and she was outspoken, but she said things like "the mother is responsible for expanding a child's palette."  Its this mixture that Food Network sort of appropriates as a whole, in its selection of seemingly diverse programming.

Furthermore, I don't think I'm ready to answer this yet... but what makes it necessary for traditional stereotyping to still exist?  Do we object to traditional gender roles? If we're such a progressive society, then shouldn't we be okay with watching more authoritative females? Even with just my personal taste, I called Anne Burrell butch during my presentation... does this mean that stereotyping is so deeply engrained into our psychology? And if thats the case, when will there be a greater shift?

                                                  A gem from Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef

someone else seems to think Burrell looks like Fieri...

Any thoughts appreciated,
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment